With the sports marketing industry seeing exceptional growth over the past decade, brands are willing to spend billions of dollars to sponsor events and athletes. Today we are going to cover one main topic:
1. Augmented reality in sports marketing
“Innovation is the ability to see change as an opportunity – not a threat.”
– Steve Jobs
Augmented Reality in Sports Marketing
The emergence of new technologies is making the industry ripe for disruption. Augmented reality (AR) is one such technology that has the potential to transform the way brand engage with sports fans. AR is an interactive technology that overlays virtual objects onto the real world.
In the sports marketing industry, AT can be used to create immersive experiences for fans. For example, fans can use their smartphones or other devices to view lives games and see player stats and highlights. Fans are also able to use augmented reality to view 3D models of their favorite athletes and interact with them in real-time.
Let’s take a look at how AR can disrupt the industry:
1. Enhanced Fan Engagement: This is something leagues around the world are already looking at, such as the NBA. This allows fans to have an immersive experience and allows them to interact with their team.
2. New Revenue Streams: Giving teams a new revenue stream is crucial. This can be done by offering exclusive AR experiences and merchandise, for example, purchasing a virtual jersey.
3. Global Reach: Fans from all over the world can engage with the experience, regardless of their location.
Let’s take a look at a real-life example:
– The NBA AR app allows fans to view lives game in AR, see player stats, and watch highlights. “You’ll be able to scan the person you want to drop into an NBA game by walking around that person and pointing your camera at them” (Peters, 2023). This app has already been a huge success, with millions already downloaded. Create your account and log in and watch an in-depth video here!
Brands can take advantage of this technology by identifying opportunities, developing engaging AR content and promoting their AR experiences.
Catch our article from last week on the Omnichannel Evolution in the Sports Marketing Industry!